Sunday, February 17, 2019

The Problems of Privilage

Do you know what's hard for me to hear? That because I'm a privileged white USA citizen that my difficulties cannot compare to what impoverished people in other countries must face every day.

The statement is not fair. We are all born into different circumstances. Just because I was born into a country with wealth does not mean that I automatically get to take advantage of that wealth to make my life better. Wealth doesn't solve every problem, and it can actually create new problems. Life isn't about having wealth. Wealth ensures we have access to shelter and food, both of which are necessary to living life, but it doesn't ensure that we have health, love, joy, and purpose in life.

I deeply respect every human life. I want for every person ever born to have the right to a full life of health and love. My heart breaks for those who are born into a circumstance where they have no shelter or food, and life will never become easier for them. Does my situation compare to theirs? No. It does not. I say this while drinking hot organic tea, typing on a computer that I built myself because I'm educated, and enjoying the benefits of a new furnace heating my house.

That said, is it fair to say my problems are not valid? Should I eat all the food on my plate just because there are starving children in China? I'm so tired of the faulty logic about handling difficulties that is so prevalent. Just because I'm not as bad off as other people does not mean I can't experience difficulties that greatly impact my quality of life. Just because a child in Argentina is starving doesn't mean my problems don't cause me severe pain. If I could save that starving child's life I would do it in a heart beat! But I'll still be in crippling pain. I want everyone in the world who needs help living to be helped. What if that means I need help too?

Is the life of a starving child more important than an adult's life in the USA? You would assume the adult in the USA takes second priority because the adult should have access to health care and government assistance. That's often not the case. Health care isn't affordable, and going to a doctor could bankrupt the whole family and cause that family go to homeless. The adult in the USA might be living in a government subsidized apartment that is full of mold that is quickly deteriorating the health of that person, destroying their ability to live their life. What if the apartment this adult is living in creates worse quality of life than the homeless child has? All life should be treated as equal, right? So who should be the priority to help?

This is complicated. And I'm very angry about this topic.

When I'm told that there are people in third world countries with needs greater than mine, I feel invalidated. I feel unheard. I feel uncared for. I feel like I'm being told that you would rather feel sorry for people you will never meet, and likely will never send 1 penny to. If their needs are so important that you invalidate my needs, then why aren't you there helping them? I'm here right now. Help me. Help who you actually have access to and can help.

Most people do nothing, but are quick to try to verbally diminish problems.

So I challenge you:

When you meet someone in the USA with clothes on, a roof over their head, and food in their bellies who tell you that they are struggling with someone serious, take them seriously. Don't automatically dismiss them because someone else in the world is obviously suffering more. The more you dismiss people because you think they're not as bad off as others, the more we tear down a culture of support, love, and community. Life depends on support, love, and community. The more you dismiss people's problems, the more you help create new problems for the community you live in. Stop thinking globally when you can't even help on a global scale. Start thinking locally. How can you help reduce the problems in your own community?

If you're able to use your first world country privilege to travel to another country and help their starving children, then do that. The world needs you to help. But as for the rest of us? Our own local communities have staving children and adults too. We also have people who are not starving and have roofs over their heads, but are in serious need help. Don't criticize problems, just help where you can. Please. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment