Thursday, December 14, 2023

Music as Medicine

I'm going through probably the worse spell of depression I've ever experienced in my life, although to be fair, it might actually be despair more than depression. Despair is a terrible place to be too. I'm not really capable of talking though the reasons right now. My fingers are icy cold. I'm too emotionally and mentally exhausted too. 

What I want to do is share some music I've been listening to that fits my feelings. These artists inspire me a lot to embrace my feelings and use them for growth and motivation.

Aurora said when she was recruited to make music professionally she didn't think she wanted to do it, but her mother told her songs were like medicine to her, and they could be medicine for other people too. So Aurora decided to try making music professionally because she loved the idea of her music being medicine for people. Her mother was right. Music can be the best medicine of all. And her music has been medicine for me. Her youthful perspective helps me to see the world again from before I felt broken, and she and I are very much alike. She might be who helps me return to my youthful passion for building a life worth living.

Something about these Norwegian (and an Icelandic) ladies really resonates with me... And the British make really good music too.

(Please forgive some of the formatting issues - I give up on trying to control Blogger.)

Aurora - Your Blood

"When all inside you burns like a star
It's after you burn out that you are reborn again, reborn again
And maybe if you called out for help
Then I could help you outrun yourself
Come run again, come run again.
And I! I refuse to die. I refuse to die!"


Aurora - All Is Soft Inside


"All that I know
Lies within emotion
Words remain unspoken
Lead me through the dark
All that I see
Came to me in colours
Lasted for the moment
Lead me through the dark
All that I know
All I know"



Auora - Exhale Inhale


"Crawl beneath the earth
To feel the hunger and the thirst
If you could fly and be the bird
Then you would see the forest burn
My dear, come near
Do you understand what is happening?"


Kalandra - Brave New World


"Catch the wind and fight the storm
Through the fury we're holding on
Take your time but not too long
Make it worth the time you own
You woke a fire inside of me
Fanned the flame and made it breathe
You woke a fire inside of me inside of me inside of me...and sleep
Ignore all the burdens that you keep
Come whatever may
They could never harm you anyway"


Kalandra - The Waiting Game


"There's a fire inside me
Waiting for something
Waiting for something
Burning uncontrollably
If I do nothing
If I do nothing

I'm waiting for you
You're waiting for me
Afraid of what we'll find
If we let words run free"



Highasakite - Mother


"I need to call my mother
Hey, hey, hey, hey
Tell her I'm scared of the thunder
Hey, hey, hey, hey
I need to talk to my mother
Hey, hey, hey, hey
Mama, I'm scared to go under
Hey, hey, hey, hey"



Highasakite - Keep That Letter Safe


"It doesn't make all cloudy days worthwhile
It doesn't make much sense to walk that extra mile
To assign you properties that are not real
And throw all my former knowledge into the field"



Highasakite - Samurai Swords


"Someone else
Will love like a rainstorm
Someone else
Will drown in your long strong arms

I'm not present at all
I don't know how that feels"


Bjork - Joga


"All that no-one sees
You see
What's inside of me
Every nerve that hurts
You heal
Deep inside of me, oo-oohh
You don't have to speak
I feel
Emotional landscapes
They puzzle me - confuse
Then the riddle gets solved
And you push me up to this
State of emergency
How beautiful to be"



Bjork - Bachelorette

"I'm a fountain of blood
In the shape of a girl
You're the bird on the brim
Hypnotized by the whirl

Drink me, make me feel real
Wet your beak in the stream
Game we're playing is life
Love's a two-way dream"



Bjork - Hyperballad


"We live on a mountain, right at the top
This beautiful view from the top of the mountain
Every morning, I walk towards the edge
And throw little things off
Like car parts, bottles, and cutlery
Or whatever I find lying around
It's become a habit, a way to start the day
I go through all this
Before you wake up
So I can feel happier
To be safe up here with you"


Muse - Map of the Problematique


"Life will flash before my eyes
So scattered and lost
I want to touch the other side
And no one thinks they are to blame
Why can't we see?
That when we bleed, we bleed the same"


Muse - Explorers


 
This is a lullaby plea written for his son...

"Free me, I'll free you
Free us from this world
We don't belong here
It was a mistake imprisoning our souls
Can you free me, and free me from this world?
(Free me, free me
Free me from this world)
(We don't belong here)
(It was a mistake imprisoning our souls)
Running around in circles, feeling caged by endless rules
Can you free me, and free me from this world?"


Florence and the Machine - Free


"I'm always running from something
I push it back, but it keeps on coming
And being clever never got me very far
Because it's all in my head
"You're too sensitive", they said
I said, "Okay, but let's discuss this at the hospital"

(As it) picks me up, puts me down
Picks me up, puts me down
Picks me up, puts me down
A hundred times a day
Picks me up, puts me down
Chews me up, spits me out
Picks me up, puts me down"



Florence and the Machine - All This and Heaven Too


"And the heart is hard to translate
It has a language of its own
It talks in tongues and quiet sighs
And prayers and proclamations
In the grand days of great men and the smallest of gestures
In short, shallow gasps

But with all my education I can't seem to command it
And the words are all escaping, and coming back all damaged
And I would put them back in poetry if I only knew how
I can't seem to understand it"


Tom Odell - Best Day of My Life


"Laying on the car
You've got stars
I've got scars
They don't see

Think today is the best day of my life
Last night all I wanted to do was die
Right now I'm just happy to be alive"



Tom Odell - Sad Anymore

"I don't want to be sad anymore.
Look at all the happy people, baby, what are they doing that I ain't doing?"



No comments:

Post a Comment