Monday, November 13, 2023

Online Store Review - For Days

For Days: 2/5 Hearts ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ–ค๐Ÿ–ค๐Ÿ–ค

๐Ÿ”ธ Quick reason:

Has a lot of potential to gain stars as they grow. They do some things very well, but have some business practices that I don't feel good about. I won't discourage you from using them because their store is good for what it is, but their services are gimmicky


๐Ÿ”ธ What they do best:

They promote brands I would never have heard of otherwise, brands that I actually might like. It makes me go to the websites of these new-to-me brands and discover! For Days might have a better price, but they only care a limited number of items from each brand. They also offer select items from brands I already love at lower prices.



๐Ÿ”ธ What they can improve on:

They mostly offer styles that are too trendy, and therefore not necessarily what the average person might like. I wouldn't wear the vast majority of what they sell because it doesn't flatter my body type (I'm looking at you, cropped shirts and super wide leg pants!) If you like to buy expensive trendy styles and have a body type that looks good in anything, you will probably love their selection. 

Their concept has a lot of potential, but their inventory is mostly... not for me. 

๐Ÿ”ถ Full Review:

When I moved from North Dakota to South Carolina, I needed to downsize my closet because it was too much to move into a smaller space. I tried to donate to thrift stores and other organizations that help those in need, but they were not accepting donations in the 6 months I spent packing. I didn't want to throw away perfectly good clothes. That's when I saw an advertisement for a new brand: Fordays.com

The ad really caught my attention:
Buy a huge Take Back Bag for $20. Stuff it full of clothes I don't want anymore. Mail it to them (the $20 for the bag covers the cost of shipping.) They give you $20 in store credit in exchange. They recycle your clothes for you so they stay out of landfills. 

Okay, so I don't profit from this, but it does allow me to exchange clothes I don't want for new clothes I do want. Not a bad concept. It keeps my clothes out of the landfill, and textiles in landfills are causing quite a bit of an environmental crisis. Okay, so I was convinced. I bought 3 Take Back Bags, and I stuffed them each very full. 

I did have some trouble with the Take Back Bags. The registration code on them (to link that bag to my account) didn't work on all 3. Customer service took about 5 days to help me. It was resolved in the end, but I couldn't actually ship my bags back until they helped me. 

My Closet Cash appeared in my account. $60 to spend to on anything I want in the store. Cool! That was a decent trade!

... kind of. 

I have not used my closet cash yet simply because I couldn't find anything I wanted to buy. For Days sells clothes from a wide variety of sustainable brands, so I expected I would have plenty to choose from. But when I really started shopping seriously, I quickly discovered that almost everything on their site was way too expensive and luxurious, or was just weird. Maybe even ugly. Things I actually liked were not in my size. Other things I liked were not things I needed, like more towels.

Until yesterday. I finally found some clothes from Happy Earth, one of my favorite brands, at a really good sale price. So I added two pieces to my cart, then tried to pay with my Closet Cash. It wouldn't work yesterday. The closet cash has to be redeemed on a different website, then it's supposed to magically show up as an option when you go to your cart. It never showed up yesterday. 

Wide Leg Herringbone Flex Pants - Calathea Green – For Days

Today I was able to choose to pay with Closet Cash, now that they've sold a lot of their inventory at that great price. But, I didn't buy them.

Because I'm only allowed to use $20 of my Closet Cash per transaction. 



Whoa.... wait. WHAT!? That's terrible business for a sustainably-minded company! That forces me to buy each item in a separate transaction so I can get a $20 discount on each item. If I want something that costs $50, I only get $20 off, so I have to pay $30 for it even though I have more Closet Cash. This might get them more business, but it pisses off customers. It also means they have to do more shipping in more shipping bags, which is so not sustainable! That kind of ruins their whole model. 

So now I'm sitting here wondering how badly I want those Happy Earth pants that I've been pining over for a while. I have zero budget for clothes because money is very tight, and I'd still have to pay $40 after using my $20. 

If I don't buy things that cost exactly $20, then I'm not going to be able to spend my Closet Cash. And trust me, they have almost nothing for $20. They have a ton of $150+ pants though. I feel lied to. I feel like this company doesn't care about me, the customer. The only silver lining is that if they actually do recycle the clothes I sent them, then I am morally rewarded for doing a better thing than sending them to the landfill. 

๐Ÿ”ธ Conclusion:

This site is probably best when treated like a search engine for brands that fit your values. 

You might like their Take Back Bag (their featured service) if you like their selection, and you're willing to only get a $20 discount per order.



No comments:

Post a Comment