Friday, February 6, 2015

Set back

It all started with that sinus infection, which I could have prevented. If I didn't go into 4 stores that cause me to react mildly in a row, or if at the very least I had worn a mask, I probably wouldn't have had that sinus infection. We all have to learn somehow, right? Chemical sensitives are no joke!

Recovering from the infection went fairly quickly. It lasted 9 days, and sinus infections usually last up to 3 weeks in the average person. I'm proud of my body for doing so well with it. Recovering from the stress that the infection put on my whole body, however, is what this post is about.

I've noticed my digestion has been poor for a few weeks, but the worst of it hit like a brick wall last Saturday, 6 days ago. I went to bed that night, but hardly slept at all. I was plagued with horrible anxiety that kept me tossing and turning - every time I closed my eyes some stress or horror dream would begin and would wake me back up. Nothing psychological triggered it. The next day I noticed that my food wasn't going through me very easily. I normally eat lightly every 2 hours in order to keep my blood sugar stable, but I wasn't able to. 6 hours went by and I still didn't feel hungry in my stomach, though I was getting dizzy and fatigued (which indicates hunger.) I ate a little bit anyway, and while it took the edge of off the dizziness and fatigue, all it manged to do for my stomach and gut was bloat it. This problem stayed this strong for 3 days.

I went to my Chiropractor on Tuesday afternoon for an adjustment. I slept better that night than I had since this problem started. My anxiety had calmed down quite a bit and I had an easier time relaxing, but I still woke up a few times during the night and I was still struggling to eat enough. I woke up Wednesday morning feeling like a slightly rested zombie. I was able to eat a little more often, which I was very thankful for.

I went to my acupuncturist on Wednesday afternoon. He normally is not one to say how "good" or "bad" of shape I'm in, though will comment on any concerns he has, but this time he very bluntly said, "You need this." He explained that my "wiry" pulse, circulation, skin color, and every other sign was a "classic textbook case" of a liver and spleen that is shot. It was a very unusual session for me. He needled several points that he normally does not. At first I was feeling all sorts of odd pressure sensations. It felt like someone had gripped my upper ankle and tried twisting hard, then I felt intense pressure between my eyebrows that made my eyes water (this pressure slowly migrated up my forehead,) then I felt a deep pressure in my lower throat which caused me to cough hard. Coughing with needles all over your body is not pleasant. I do not recommend it! After the pressure had lifted, I felt very fidgety instead of relaxed, like I normally do during acupuncture. I felt like something had "released," like a dam burst within my veins. Whatever that "release" I felt was, I'm still feeling it trying to work its way out of my body. I left feeling a lot more "put together," or in control. It wasn't enough to treat my issue, but it definitely helped kick start the healing process. Since then, I've noticed my heart rate has been occasionally very high, I'm over producing adrenaline for no obvious reason (I'm purposefully avoiding all stress and caffeine,) and I'm getting occasional flash fevers.  My anxiety is down to a tolerable level now and I have been able to sleep most of the night for the last two nights. My digestion is better, but not back to where it used to be before the sinus infection.

Liver and spleen/ pancreas issues are nothing new to me, as my doctor reminded me. We've known all along that these organs are weak. What's very frustrating is that I've spent over a year and a few months now working on healing my digestive organs, only to get hit hard with a sinus infection that stressed my body enough to burn out my organs all over again. Thursday morning I really didn't feel far from the "zombie" status that I was in at the end of 2013 when I first went to see my doctor. My hope is that with enough rest and the right food I can help my organs recover quickly from this. I know they will still be weak, but if they can at least work as well as they did before this set back I'll be happy. My doctor is having me eat as gently as possible, meaning meat that has been slow cooked for a very long time (because the cooking process is breaking it down for my stomach.) I'm also avoiding leaving the safety of my house for several days so that I don't risk exposure to harsh chemicals or allergens that will stress my body again.

One concern I have is that something in my house is causing me to be in a constant mild reaction, preventing me from healing quickly and possibly causing me to react harder when I am hit with something. During this past week that I've been very weak I've been experiencing allergy and/or chemical exposure symptoms: irritability ranging from mild grumpiness to raging anger, itchiness, rashes, unusual headaches, occasional blurred vision, very poor circulation, menstrual spotting, and adrenaline rushes that cause me to go from relaxed to very jittery down to zombie within an hour's time. The problem is, if there is something causing a constant mild reaction in my house, I don't know what it is. It would be easy to blame our bed, go out buy a new organic cotton mattress with zero chemical additives, and then find out I'm still just as bad. While this is a good idea anyway, we cannot afford it. Our houseplants keep developing a white fungus that doesn't stay gone for long. Smokers have been coming into our house. Our cabinets and wood furniture are mostly made from particle board (formaldehyde off-gassing.) Our house is carpeted. I have a hard time keeping up with the dusting. Truthfully, for a seriously chemical sensitive person this house would be a nightmare, despite the fact that it's been fragrance-free for years. I'm not seriously chemically sensitive, but my MCS is bad enough where I can't find a job at a place that doesn't make me sick. I'm not able to up and move to a 100% toxin-free house, so I need to make this house work. Frustrations!

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some bone broth to can! It's been brewing in the crockpot for 26 hours and the house smells so bad that it needs to be done. Bone broth may be a highly nutritious liquid, but it sure does reek.

No comments:

Post a Comment