Friday, February 20, 2015

Product Review: Nasal Filter

I bought some carbon-based nasal filters from GadgetsGo.com

These are probably a size too small for me, because they do not fill up my nostrils and air does flow around them. The problem is that a size larger would make my nose look ridiculous. These already expand my nostrils and I look silly. I think the problem is that they are round in shape and should be shaped like a kidney bean. I have seen allergy nasal filters with that shape, but they do not contain carbon like these do. I chose these because they contain a carbon filter, which is the only filter that might filter oil-based chemicals such as perfume.



As you can see, other than the fact they expand my nostrils, it isn't noticeable except for the small bridge on the bottom. If anyone does notice it they'll probably just assume it's a medical device. I wouldn't worry about how that part looks. If the filter actually works, the odd nose ring is totally worth it.

I tried this out in two different stores on two different days. I could still smell cigarette smoke and scented things around it. If it fit properly in my nose it may have actually filtered out the smell - I'm not sure. The fit makes it very hard to judge if this actually works or not.

A big problem was that I found myself breathing through my mouth without really thinking about it. The filter really didn't restrict my ability to breathe much, but it was certainly just enough easier to breathe through my mouth that I subconsciously started to do so. In other words, any chemical I'm trying to prevent breathing in would just end up getting in through my mouth, which defeats the purpose of wearing the filter.

I really think the nose filter is great in concept, but the execution needs to be perfected. If you're chemical sensitive, I think you're much better off with a face mask with an activated carbon filter and respirators. I just ordered one, and I will review it when it arrives and I get the chance to try it out.
If these nasal filters fit properly, they may be effective for someone with a mild case of MCS.

If any of you have tried these and had a different experience, please let me know! I would be willing to try a different version of these nasal filters if they would actually fit right.

No comments:

Post a Comment