Saturday, January 31, 2015

Recipe: Chicken Soup

I'm often asked, "So... what do you eat?" It's a good question. I do not eat grains, diary, pork, shell fish, sugar (not even fruit,) starch, fish with high mercury content, nightshades (such as tomato,) or moldy foods (like peanuts.) My diet is very low in carbohydrates, which means my diet is extremely limited compared to the average American diet.

I could just as easily say, "I eat beef, chicken, turkey, walnuts, green beans, spinach, etc...," but that would actually make my diet sound much more limiting than it really is. I decided that I'll share my recipes with you in order to show that it's not that difficult to eat such a restrictive diet.

Here's what you need to know about my cooking: unless I'm baking something, I don't use exact measurements. You can easily half, double, triple, or quarter these recipes because it's not about getting exact measurements.

Today's recipe:


Quick Chicken Soup

  • 1 Chicken breast
  • 1/2 can coconut milk fat OR 3-4 table spoons coconut oil (I prefer the milk fat for overall taste and texture)
  • Chicken broth to taste OR coconut milk to taste (broth gives it a thin chicken flavor, milk makes it creamy and richer.)
  • 2 dashes of cinnamon

  • 3-4 dashes of poultry seasoning

  • 3+ dashes of turmeric

  • 3+ dashes of ground ginger

  • Himalayan or sea salt salt to taste (if you use broth, pay attention to how much salt is already in it!)

  • Optional: green peas, carrots, broccoli, and/ or asparagus
  •  Optional: Omit other seasoning and use a curry seasoning mix instead. 

Chop the chicken breast into small bite sized pieces. Throw them in a stainless steel, cast iron, or ceramic pot (avoid non-stick due to the hazardous toxins that leak out into the food.) If you want to include vegetables, throw them in. Add the coconut milk fat or coconut oil. Dump in your seasoning. Now fill the pot with the coconut milk or chicken broth (only pour as much in as you want to eat.) Put a lid on it. Cook on medium for about 5 minutes (or until it lightly boils,) then turn it down to low (2-3 on my stove.) Let it simmer for about 12 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour it in your bowl and enjoy!

Note about coconut milk: Whole fat coconut milk in cans tends to separate, but not always. I don't always know if the milk will come in one creamy liquid or separated into fat and liquid!  The solid part in the can is the milk fat. That's what I add to my soup. If your can of coconut milk is not separated, I'd recommend using the whole can and then add in broth to finish filling out the soup.

Note about chicken broth: I have only found two brands on the market that fit my needs: it must be MSG/ Yeast Extract (they're the same thing) free. It must not contain any sugar or starch. It should not use "natural flavors." The two brands that fit my needs are Imagine and a certain line of Pacific stocks. (Click on each brand name to get taken to a page the shows the broth.) Please check the ingredients to make sure - both brands have lines of broth and stock that contain MSG/ Yeast Extract. These ones I linked to do not contain it.



No comments:

Post a Comment