Friday, February 9, 2024

Common Advice and Why It's Bad Advice for ME/CFS

Advice that doesn't make sense for people with ME/CFS, POTS, Fibromyalgia, and other energy-deficient diseases. Yikes. 

Before we begin, please understand that I'm saying this as a person with moderate and NOT severe ME/CFS. Severe ME/CFS is a different issue as they lose all independence. I'm about 70% housebound these days. I can run out and do short quick errands during my good hours. I can work a few hours a week. I can manage some chores most days. At my best, I get about 3 to 4 usable hours of energy each day. At my worst, I'm in bed most of the day (and I have 2-3 days like this most months.) 

And so... for the BAD ADVICE:



Food Prepping

A hallmark of ME/CFS is Post Exertional Malaise (PEM), which means that after a person spends too much energy then they crash and have to completely rest until they recover. PEM rest can take a day or two, or it might take weeks. Depends on the severity of ME/CFS. So the recommended method for avoiding PEM is something called "Pacing." Meaning, the person does a little bit of work at a time, but not enough to trigger PEM, and then rests. Then does a little more work later, but not enough to trigger PEM, then rests again. And so on. Basically, doing too much (spending too much energy) all at once means more time recovering in bed than if we pace ourselves and avoid doing too much at once. We tend to be able to do more if we're not regularly crashing ourselves. 

So... this idea of "Food Prepping" is confusing to me. It would take HOURS to do all the prep at once. I know people who spend their entire Sunday afteroons food prepping.  Hours of chopping veggies, cooking, portioning, washing dishes, cleaning up... noooo. That's way too much work all at once! This makes sense for couples with kids who both work long hours and can't find time or energy to cook once they're home in the evening. It doesn't make sense for chronic illness. Chronic illness is better when food is kept simple, and frankly, this isn't a simple way to approach food. Food prepping is strictly a time-management solution for busy people.  

Let's explore how I eat for an example of pacing:

Breakfast is usually just frozen organic sausages, and all I have to do is put them in a pan with water, put a lid on it, let them boil while I take all my pills, and then eat them. Easy. And how could I food prep that? I only eat protein for breakfast due to my reactive hypoglycemia issues, so there's no need for me to complicate breakfast with things that require a lot more energy to cook. 

Lunch for me is typically a simple salad. Salad isn't exactly the best thing for me because raw foods are really hard for me to digest, but it's easy and I need easy (and I have digestive enzymes I can take, ha.) I make it of romaine, avocado, cucumber, organic deli meat, and light sugar-free and seed-oil-free dressing. I might add in some artichoke hearts, olives, or beets from glass jars. Sometimes I add sprouted nuts and seeds too. When I say avocado, I usually mean pre-made guacamole that I scoop out. Honestly, it's really simple. The work comes from shredding up the deli meat in my hands and washing my hands. How could I food prep any of this? Everything I add to my salads is already prepared.

My afternoon snack is beef jerky or a protein shake. No food prep there.

Dinner. Dinner is where I need energy. I'm way better off cooking every dinner from scratch though. I thaw my meat the day before. When it's time to cook dinner, I go slowly. I start with chopping veggies if I need to, and then I store what I don't use in a container in the fridge at that point. For instance, I usually don't use a whole zucchini for one dinner, but I'll chop the whole thing (since I'm chopping anyway) and store the rest. My husband likes to chop his own veggies (he eats onions and peppers, and I can't.) I also buy pre-cut veggies when available, like shredded carrots or sliced shitake mushrooms. But my favorite? I buy frozen veggies and dump them in the pan. Frozen veggies are the best of the best for me. They're already cut, I can buy them in bulk, and they require no extra work.

I don't make big fancy dinners - I keep it simple. But my diet is also simple. I always eat meat with veggies, nothing else. Almost all my dinners are low-management. I pour walnut or coconut oil in a pan, add my chopped veggies, season them, and let them cook. Then when they're halfway cooked I add my meat. Sometimes I use a whole uncut chicken breast, sirloin steak, or salmon steak. All I have to do is season it and flip it. Other times I'll chop the meat to make stir-fry, then stir occasionally until cooked. I might add coconut aminos, coconut milk, lemon, etc.  You're never going to see me cooking anything that requires a lot of steps - but I also can't eat grains, beans, dairy and sauces, or other things that require extra work to cook. 

Oh, and how I love my Instant Pot!! It takes the work out of making roasts, stews, and soups. I always buy a quarter cow and store it in my deep freezer, so I get a lot of meat that needs to be slow cooked. The Instant Pot cooks it really well and saves me loads of effort over crock pots and the oven!

While food is cooking I wash the dishes I can wash (I do not have a dishwasher currently..... that's a major issue with my energy levels.) 

Note: I have a husband. When I'm really bad he will always take over cooking dinner. We avoid eating out, but we will Doordash if necessary too. I also keep cans of soup in the pantry for quick and easy dinners. I have multiple back-up-plans. 

Keep it simple, don't food prep. Spread your energy out into smaller chunks. Don't spend too much all at once. For many with ME/CFS, cooking anything at all would be way too much energy. In that case, you're going to need a caretaker or rely on food delivery. That makes this a moot point. 



Taking High Doses of Vitamins

It's probably not going to "cure" you unless you have severe deficiencies, in which case, you don't have ME/CFS. You have nutritional deficiencies. It's a really common cause of chronic fatigue, but it's not the cause of ME/CF Syndrome. Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Chronic Fatigue are not the same, which is why CFS is going by ME these days. 

We need proper nutrition to feel our best, and getting proper nutrition will help reduce how bad we feel. If we're deficient in vitamins and minerals it can present as muscle pain, nerve pain, brain fog, insomnia, bad skin, losing hair, poor vision, ringing in the ears, and more. Yes, if you are deficient in anything, supplementing can help relieve symptoms. That said, ME/CFS is not an illness of nutrition deficiency. ME/CFS research is still determining how ME/CFS works, but we have evidence that it's an immune cell deficiency, or mitochondrial problems. There's also evidence that it's a brain fluid leak

The problem, however, with just taking some random mulivitamin or a B-Complex is that they might make you worse:

1. There's no regulation on supplements. There's no FDA monitoring them. So you can't know what you're really buying... unless you're buying from brands with 3rd party certifications, in which case you're going to pay a lot more. It's worth the cost of good quality vitamins if you need to take one. But so many of these cheap vitamins are not what they claim to be, and there have been lawsuits because of this issue. Walmart and Target store brands tested some pills and found they were just filled with fillers, not what the label said they were

2. So many multivitamins use forms of vitamins that are synthetic and not well absorbed. When you buy a multivitamin from Walmart or GNC, you're not getting the same vitamins you'd eat in food. You'd never find cyanocobalamin in food, but that's the most common form of vitamin b12 in supplements. What they do is bind cobalamin to cyanide (yes, the poison in apple seeds) and call it vitamin b12, because the cyanide has the ability to get the cobalamin into your blood stream really easily (cobalamin on its own would pass right through you without getting absorbed.) Then your body has to clear out the cyanide (poison), which takes a lot of energy - and we can't afford the energy to be detoxing like that. The amount of cyanide is considered to be well below the toxic limit, so it's considered safe. That said, people who need to take very high doses of B12 (very common in those with fatigue illnesses) often don't have bodies that can handle any extra substance to detox. I have talked with people in groups who claim that these synthetic vitamins tend to give them a lot of gut pain, trigger IBS issues, and cause flare ups. When they take the more expensive natural forms they don't have these problems. If you want to read even more about this issue, I recommend reading Dr. Ben Lynch. He is a leading researcher on genetics, and how things like forms of vitamins affect our DNA. 

3. So many vitamins contain super high doses of vitamins you can actually overdose on. Look at the supplement facts on any vitamin. The first on the list is vitamin A, a fat-soluble vitamin (meaning your body stores all of it in your fat instead of passing excess through you in your urine.) Fat-soluble vitamins are vitamins you can overdose on, and you can actually get sick from vitamin toxicity. Vitamin A is always in a really high percentage (like 1000%+ RDA) because these companies want you to feel like you're getting your money's worth. Except you really don't need that much vitamin A. You really really don't. 

4. Vitamin toxicity can cause a lot of problems. I am prone to vitamin b6 toxicity, which causes my neuropathy. The moment I start feeling the tingling in my feet return, I know I've had too much b6 in my food. When that happens I have to avoid sunflower seeds and poultry for a while, because they're the foods I eat with the highest amount of b6. I wrote a blog post on this.... let me go look for it to create a link..  Wait no... I didn't. HOW DID I NOT WRITE ABOUT THAT. That was a MAJOR issue I went through! Scrolling through my blogs, I see that I did touch on it in a few different posts, and it started here. I need to write about b6 toxicity!!! It's so important!! 



Yoga - Or Exercise in General

Let's go back to what ME/CFS is: It's defined as chronic fatigue that is made worse by exercising, causing Post Exertional Malaise (PEM.) Exercise makes ME/CFS worse. 

Once upon a time in the UK, the medical recommendations for treating ME/CFS was Graded Exercise Therapy. Julie Reymyer wrote an excellent article for Slate Magazine on this issue, explaining why it damaged patients and how this terrible treatment came to be the recommended treatment. 

Deconditioning is a real issue though, so it is good to move as much as we can with the energy we do have, as long as we don't do so much that it triggers PEM. I am able to go for a few walks each week, usually about a mile. They have triggered PEM for me sometimes, but when they don't, it's worth walking. It feels good if I don't push myself too much. 

But I also want to explain why Yoga is a bad recommendation for people with POTS. Yoga involves a lot of inversion, and POTS is triggered by postural changes like inversion. A yoga instructor that understands POTS can be helpful, because there are some yoga practices that don't involve postural changes, but it will be hard to find such an instructor. People with POTS do need to strengthen their legs to help with the blood pooling, but they need exercises without postural changes. I really like exercises in which I'm laying on my back or stomach. 

Essential Oils

Oy vey... essential oils. What a huge topic! As someone with MCS (Multiple Chemical Sensitives), I don't really like to recommend EOs because they all contain VOCs, which can trigger reactions. A lot of brands use formaldehyde doners in their oils too. I personally don't have problems with some EOs, and I'll use them occasionally because they do help. I don't use them for perfume or aromatherapy, I use them for things like massaging blood into feet or treating my skin when I get hives or rashes. But for the purpose of this blog, I'm not going to focus on MCS issues. I want to focus on bad advice for treating fatigue. 

ME/CFS comes with a lot of sensory issues, and the purpose of EOs are to stimulate your senses. They work because they affect your nervous system. That can be too much for people with ME/CFS to tolerate. It's possible that one or two could help someone with ME/CFS, like using lavender when they have insomnia. I find that ginger oil in my baths helps keep me warm for a few hours after the bath (I'm always freezing cold.) The problem is not EOs... the problem is people who recommend using them. They're not careful! If someone with ME/CFS wants to use EOs, they need to use very light amounts at a time to see if they can handle them. It's really easy to overwhelm the nervous system with EOs, which can create even more fatigue, even cause headaches and muscle aches. 

EOs (if they're pure, organic or wildcrafted, and without synthetic perfuming agents or stabilizers added) may help manage some symptoms if you can handle them. If not, they'll make you worse.

What they will not and cannot do is cure ME/CFS, Dysautonomia, Endometriosis, or any other illness. It's bad advice to recommend them for someone with ME/CFS because it's most likely just going to overwhelm their nervous system. It could be like someone blasting rock music while you're trying to sleep - they're too stimulating. Sensory overload. People with ME/CFS really need to maintain a calm nervous system. The least sensory issues possible helps. Avoid smells, loud noises, light pollution, bad textures, etc. 



Go to Therapy

For grief counseling? Yes, that's a good idea! The ability to talk about how much grief this illness causes is really helpful!

In my experience, however, this advice usually means "go to a psychiatrist for drugs to treat your anxiety" OR "go do CBT to fix how you think." It's not only a highly dismissive remark, it's dangerous. CBT is a therapy that assumes your root causes are all in your head - that you believe you have an illness instead of actually having one. It's very insulting. Read the article in that link and it will explain why CBT has harmed many patients. In short, CBT encourages patients to stop acting like they have an illness, which leads to the patients making themselves MUCH worse because they try to exert energy and live "normally." 



Just Get a Job Because Having a Reason To Leave the House Helps

When I first got sick, a lot of people told me this. I wasn't working for 1.5 years, and I was bedridden for much of that time. I didn't get a job until after working with a doctor for a while and recovering enough to be able to work very part-time. Without seeing that particular doctor, I wouldn't have been able to manage working at all. I saw loads of doctors who couldn't help me, then I flew out of state for my naturopathic doctor, and he was able to help me. He's internationally recognized at helping people like me though, where as all the local doctors I saw didn't have a clue what was wrong with me.

After I started working again, did the job help me recover? No. It didn't do anything for my physical health. Did it help give me a sense of purpose and lift my depression? Yes, but it's because of the nature of the job I had. I was very passionate about the work. Despite my passion for it, I was seriously not able to work more than 10 to 15 hours at best. I couldn't work multiple days in a row, and I spent my time at home recovering. 

We must remember that ME/CFS is an illness of energy. Jobs take A LOT of energy, and if we can't spend energy at our jobs, we're probably going to get fired. If we give more energy than we have to a job to avoid getting fired, we're probably going to have a lot of PEM that keeps us feeling at our worst. 




Highasakite - Science and Blood Tests

Florence and the Machine - Sky Full of Song

The lyrics are wrong in this video - it's "I can hide from the thunder in a sky full of song."


No comments:

Post a Comment