Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Value of Life vs Medical Costs

I'm drinking Numi's Gunpowder Green Tea with Vital Protein's Coconut Collagen Creamer and Redmond Real Salt and doing some reflecting before heading to my post-operation appointment with my gynecologist.

What is the monetary value of quality of life for a person with chronic illness who lives in a first world country with access to excellent doctors? Is it worth paying $14,000 for a medical surgery that might give a ton of pain relief, may result in fewer sick days at work, possibly improve fertility, and has potential to make a person feel human again? $14,000 could buy a year of college, a good reliable car for the long-term, a down payment on a small starter home, or a new roof for your home that will last long-term. What if I told you this surgery might only benefit the person for a couple of years at a time? Is short term quality of life (that isn't guaranteed) worth $14,000, when that money could buy long term services or possessions that also give quality of life?

Yes, my laprascopic surgery for endometriosis and my cardiology visit added up to $14,000. That's before my uninsured discount and my cost-sharing program benefits. My next step, after I wake up and am thinking clearly enough, is to make some phone calls about this bill.

In 2 years I can give an answer to this question, because I've been told people with endometriosis can need surgery as often as every 2 years. It's too soon for me to say if it's benefited me at all yet, given the fact that I'm still healing and my period hasn't yet come. The problem is, I wasn't aware that I was gambling with this much money when I agreed to the surgery. I was told that surgery was around $2,000. That turned out to be true. What I wasn't told was that I would pay $750 for each of the 3 anesthesia treatments I needed during the surgery, $7,000 just to be in the operating room, and lots of other charges for the staff that helped me in different parts of the hospital. If I dug deeper I'm sure I'll find the charges for the multiple IVs I needed, the time I spent in the recovery room, etc. Had I known the cost before surgery, would I have opted to do it? Probably, yes. It's a gamble, a bigger one than I anticipated, but I believe one worth taking.

The older I get, the less confident I am. Endometriosis has definitely been holding me back from living my life. I didn't want to apply for certain jobs because I knew I couldn't get away with calling in sick for my period in that position. I have had to fight some bosses over my needs around my period for years, and this has lost me the chance to get scheduled for better shifts or in better positions. And due to all of my health issues, I've never been able to focus on a career. I'm 30 with a college degree and I'm still doing shift work. It's not below me. I have a lot of respect for us shift workers. I'm paid well, I like my job, I like my co-workers and boss. I'm not complaining. But if not for endometriosis and my other health issues, would I have a career going by now? And given the fact that I don't make a salary, am I worth a $14,000 surgery?

I received my GED at age 16, married at age 19, and graduated college at 20. I was set up so well for a life with a good career and children. 10 years later, none of that has happened. My husband and I are happy together, but we're both very stressed by money, careers, health issues, and living within our needs. His career is very difficult because it's facing budget cuts at every turn, and his Master's degree isn't enough, but a doctorate doesn't guarantee a job. So am I worth a $14,000 surgery when we have these huge struggles? Would I be financially better off not getting medical treatment at all, and therefore not working? I could save money by just being disabled at home, not contributing to the work force. But I would be miserable. Is being miserable financially smarter, and could it lead my husband to more happiness if he didn't have to work as hard to afford me, someone who can't work much?

Don't misinterpret this post -
I'm not degrading myself. I'm not putting myself down. I believe I made the right choice. If I were evaluating another person in my situation, I would say that we each only get one life to live and all life is equal. Everyone deserves to live life in the healthiest way they can so that they can participate in life the most fully. I might have self esteem and confidence issues, but I know my value is the same as any other person. I carefully considered the pros and cons of this surgery over years. I've talked to countless people who have had it done. I've discussed with multiple doctors. It was a carefully made decision.

But what upsets me isn't that I have to spend this kind of my money for my health, it's that many people simply cannot afford the surgery or treatment and have no choice but to suffer. Why do I get to have the surgery to help me when others might suffer worse than me and can't have the surgery? I accept that the medial system is the way it is in the USA - I am all for improving it, but I can't afford the stress to worry about it. So I'm not. It simply is what it is, and until something can be done to improve it, I just accept what it is. I'm thankful for the good the medical system can do me, and my doctors and all the staff and nurses were excellent and I really appreciate all they did for me. But in the end, what makes me special?

Just some of my thoughts, but I hope my experience helps some of you make the right decision for you. After this Post-Op appointment I'll write about the surgery experience itself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment