Sunday, May 27, 2018

Metaprolol Experience

In this post I explained that I was diagnosed with POTS and put on a beta blocker to manage it. I'll go into some detail on this post about what it did for me and to me.

I was prescribed Metoprolol Extended Release 25 mg. I was not allergic to any ingredients in this option, but the regular non-extended release version contained lactose. I don't know how a small amount of lactose in the pill would affect me, but I do not do well with dairy at all. The advantage of the extended release version is that I only take one pill a day, but the disadvantage is being unable to cut the pill in half if the dose is too high. I think I would have been better off with the regular version, taking a couple a day, because I think I would have responded better if I had been able to cut the pills in half and work my dosage up. In the end, however, my doctor and I decided it's not the right drug for me.

Beta Blockers lower your heart rate, so it made perfect sense to try it. What I didn't know at first was that it also lowers blood pressure. If you have low blood pressure then I'm warning you against Metoprolol.


I decided to take it at night since it makes me sleepy. The first night I took it I had vivid terrible nightmares. When I woke up I felt all the symptoms of low blood pressure: eye pressure, headache, weak, freezing cold, and out of breath. I took my blood pressure. I can't remember specifics, but I remember it was in the upper 80's over lower 50's. My heart rate wasn't any lower. Through the day my blood pressure ran low, but slowly improved until it was back to my average 100/60 in the evening.


The second night I didn't have the nightmares, but it started to make me feel slightly more depressed and darker than usual. I did wake up, again, with low blood pressure, and once again my heart rate wasn't any better. My toes were dark purple and icy most of the day. I was starting to feel even worse going from sitting or laying to standing. Normally I feel POTS symptoms about 50% of the time when I get up, but it was turning into 100% of the time with increased symptoms (mainly extra dizziness with bright light colors spinning around me longer than normal.)

By the 4th day my blood pressure wasn't quite as bad, but still around 92/55 most of the day (that was one measurement I have recorded.) My heart rate, however, was down to the 50's at rest. My average resting heart rate is 88, so that's a big drop for me. Upon standing it was going up to the 80's to 110 range. So even though my resting heart rate was lower, it didn't fix the POTS. By the 5th and 6th days the deep purple and ice cold in my toes had overtaken my feet and shins. By the 6th day my resting heart rate was back up into the 70's and 80's most of the time with a few periods of it being in the 50's. It wasn't consistent. That isn't so bad, but I was going into the 120's and 130's when standing up. The other issue is that my fibromyalgia was coming back in a big way. My leg muscles and shoulders were getting achy, tender, and felt like acid. I lost my ability to control the muscle pain.

I took it for 8 days total, and I never improved more than that. I asked my cardiologist his thoughts on this and he said it wasn't doing what it needed to, and the side effects were not worth it. So he told me to stop. He said I might be better off being untreated based on how I reacted to it. There are other options I could try, like Calcium Channel Blockers, but he didn't suggest it. He said because my heart itself isn't in danger and it's working well, I should be okay without treatment. I'm also not a fainter. If I were a fainter it might be important to try something else. But for me POTS is a cause of fatigue, pain, discomfort, and exercise intolerance. It's annoying and draining, but not damaging... we think. I'm not sure I'm ready to try the next thing anyway... exhausted from all the changes to my body!

Metoprolol was a teaching experience. Without it I feel fatigued all the time from being too revved up all the time. On it, I felt the same level of fatigue from not being able to rev up at all. It felt different. It might have been better for my body to be more calm on it, but it made it just as hard for me to function. I think I had less adrenaline to help me function while on it too.

So I'm going to do what I have been doing that seems to help: extra salt, electrolytes added in all water and tea I drink, licorice root as needed for low blood pressure, green tea as needed to cut down on fatigue (other sources of caffeine make me worse, but green tea does help), and going for walks as often as I can tolerate. I may want to try other prescriptions in the future, but I have a feeling I don't tolerate any prescriptions well due to my chemical sensitivities. I haven't had lucky on any so far for any condition...


Best part of getting off Metoprolol? My feet can feel the sun again and it feels good! They were so ice cold not even the sun would warm them up! They still turn purple from blood pooling, which is helped by elevating my feet, but not the dark purple and numbness that Metoprolol caused. 

No comments:

Post a Comment