Sunday, October 25, 2015

How I Respond to MCS: Before, During, and After.

I have learned that I need to use my sauna and neti pot after ever shift at work. If I do not, I have agitated sleep full of angry and annoying dreams and I wake up feeling exhausted. I have a headache and some pain while at work, but the real reaction tends to be delayed (like many reactions for me) and hits me hours later. Yesterday I did go for a hike through the trees along the river, a little ways outside of town and away from any car exhaust. I was hoping the fresh crisp air would help as much as the sauna, but it didn't. It just left me feeling very exhausted. I'm still very fatigued this morning.

I attended my university's Jazz Band, Vocal Jazz, and Steel Drum Band concert a few days ago because I was craving to do something "normal" with my husband and this sounded like fun. When my husband and I were students, he was in both Jazz Band and Steel Drum band, so it was nice to go to reminisce. It was located at the main concert call downtown, where the local symphony performs. I knew that many ladies wear heavy perfume at those concerts, as they're dressy affairs, and I know that cloth seating tends to absorb perfume. This was not a dressy event, mostly college students in the audience, so I thought there was a chance I could get away with going. Unfortunately, I had heart palpitations the entire time. I could feel something inside my ear twitching every so often too. I wore my ionizer necklace during the concert. It helped some, and I know this because I had to shut it off for the last 15 because the battery was running low, causing it to hum loudly. I developed a headache and some eye pain after I shut it off. Because we got home late, I did not use my sauna. I just took an extra glutathione and NAC, which helped a little. I had agitated sleep that night too. Was it worth going? I'm undecided. It was honestly so nice to feel "normal" and get out of the house with my husband that I think this feeling overshadowed the MCS reactions.

MCS is so frustrating. It hinders my ability to be me - I can't go places I want, I can't do things I want, and I can't spend time with people I can't trust to be safe. My reactions are not as severe as many people with MCS. I survived the concert hall with lots of discomfort, whereas others would be sent to the ER by it. It doesn't mean I'm not hurting, and I don't want to go to places or do things that cause pain.



This is what I've learned to do before, during, and after exposures in order to recover the fastest
:

1. Take glutathione and NAC throughout the day every day. I take 1 of each with breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I take my Naturopathic doctor's brand, but there are other brands on the market. I can't speak to the quality of these brands, sorry.

2. Take extra glutathione and NAC right before going somewhere risky, like church.

3. Wearing a mask (I use Vog Mask) helps some, but some things that cause reactions still bother my eyes, ears, and skin. They stick to my clothes, hair, and skin. It's best to just avoid. There's no armor that works. But if I need to go somewhere risky, such as on an airplane, wearing a mask does help some. (See my review of my Vog Mask here.)

4. Eat protein and fat every 2 hours. I get hypoglycemic, and I've noticed that keeping my blood sugar as stable as possible helps me avoid feeling faint and overly dizzy during a reaction. I used to get the feeling of very low blood sugar, blood pressure, and faintness fairly often, definitely made a lot worse by reactions, but I haven't experienced this much in the last year.

5. I wash my clothes very often. If I go to a risky place, like church or work, I put the clothes I wore in that place in the laundry as soon as possible. Toxins tend to stick to clothes and I don't want to keep wearing what I was reacting to. (I don't know that I have to say this, but make sure you're using natural plant-based detergent that doesn't cause more clothing toxicity. I really like Biokleen's Free & Clear line, both the powder and liquid.)

6. Getting directly in the shower helps, but I recover much faster and tend to suffer less bad reactions when I use my far infrared sauna often. The more often I use it, the more I can tolerate toxin exposure. I've learned to get in the sauna after each shift at work. I sit in it and sweat for 30-40 minutes, pushing out toxins in my skin and increasing my circulation so my body can clean it self out better, then get right into the shower. I bought a $200 portable sauna on Amazon about 2 years ago. It's made in China, and some people with MCS are likely to react to it. A real, full-sized, wooden sauna is always better (they work better too,) but I have no idea which one on the market is best, safe, most effective, etc - the one I linked to is just an example. But I have no problems with it at this point (when I first bought it I probably reacting constantly and didn't understand that MCS was the problem, so I don't remember how it made me feel when it was new - it was when I first started seeing my doctor who's done so much good for me.)

7. Sometimes I opt to take a hot bath instead. I can add salt, clay, ginger, and other good stuff to detox when I take a hot bath (see previous post for more details on my favorite detox baths.) I make sure the water is as hot as I can stand it so that I sweat a lot. I then take a full shower after my bath.

8. Neti Pot. Seriously: Neti Pot. (The ceramic kind - NOT plastic!) I know many of you that I've talked to are afraid of them. Normally I would accept this and help you find a different solution, but in this case, I'm going to keep pushing it. Use a Neit Pot! They do not hurt, you can breath while using it, and it's a very low cost solution for something that helps so incredibly much! I always use reverse osmosis filtered water that's been slightly warmed on the stove. Do not use tap water - you do not want to pour all sorts of contaminates through your nose, such as live bacteria or organisms that didn't get cleaned out at the water processing plant. Pushing the water through my nasal passages simply helps clean out a lot of crap that I've breathed in. Furthermore, the salt that I add to the water stays in the nasal passages for about 30 minutes afterwords. It soaks up mucus and clumps it up so that I can spit or blow it out. Mucus is what traps toxins, so getting rid of the mucus is very important to detoxing. Yes, the water only flows through the nasal passages, but the salt absorbs mucus from all of the sinuses, even my ears. My Neti Pot is a staple for me!

9. Rest. If I don't give my body rest so that it can recover, repair, and recuperate, my body doesn't let me push forward. I can't simply go back to work the next day. Reactions take a lot of energy, energy that I'm short on anyway (chronic fatigue!) I MUST let my body rest for as long as it takes if I plan to keep moving forward in life. Sometimes I only need half a day. Sometimes I need a few days of doing nothing. I have to listen to my body and do as it says.

10. I have to keep my home as safe as possible at all times. I never bring anything into my living space that's risky for me. I don't invite people over. I use my own cloth shopping bags and wash them regularly so that I'm not bringing home the store's bags that are infused with the smell of the store. I vacuum, sweep, mop, and clean regularly. I run an air purifier regularly. I dust regularly. This is not to say my house looks organized: it's not. I don't spend energy picking up after myself, it's poorly decorated, and sometimes looks like I just don't care. I just focus on keeping the home environment safe enough. I only have so much energy to spend.

11. I do have many houseplants. Mold and fungus has been an occasional problem with them, but I stay proactive with my plants. I keep a close watch for the mold and fungus and clean it out the moment I spot any. Otherwise, they're great. Certain houseplants clean the air. Check out this article for more details.

12. I practice a lot of escapism. Instead of giving in to the feelings of anger, agitation, pain, discomfort, anxiety, depression, and other unpleasantness I experience during reactions and periods of poor health, I try to do something that allows me to mentally escape. I do something really risky: I bring my phone into the bath with me so I can read or watch videos while bathing. I watch Netflix while I use the sauna. The reason for this is that if I don't have a distraction, my thoughts get really anxious and dark, and I feel a lot worse and more fatigued. Negative thoughts take a lot of energy, and often times I don't have enough power over the negative mental feeling. So I distract myself with something until the reaction calms down. I spend a lot of time playing video games, reading easy books and graphic novels, and watching my favorite series. These things occupy my mind, which is a huge blessing.

Note about 12: Lots of people have argued that I should be practicing mindfulness, guided meditation, or prayer instead of using distractions. I'm sorry. These things simply do not work for me. At all. I don't have the energy to control my thoughts - these things take a lot more work and stamina than I have to give. If these things work for you, yes, you're probably going to recover faster employing them. They allow for a deeper rest and a better calm. They train us to have better control over our mental and spiritual states. These things are important! But I'm sorry, they're not enough to combat my anxiety and reaction agitation. I tried praying the rosary while in the sauna during a really nasty reaction once. I was shaking with anxiety and desperate to calm down. The rosary should be very calming, reflective, and meditative - it simply called attention to all my problems that I wanted to share with God. It caused me to think about how hard life is, how much suffering we go through, and how I just wanted to be dead to end the suffering. Prayer is a very powerful thing. I strongly believe in God and I strongly believe in the importance of prayer. But I've learned that my prayer isn't effective during my deep anxiety times - it makes me feel worse. I pray when I'm feeling strong so that I can actually calm my mind enough to listen to God. It's a big reason why I'm struggling so much with church - church causes me to react, and I can't focus or be worshipful when I'm reacting.

13: I take care of my health to the best of my ability. I'm taking a ton of supplements , eating a very strict diet, exercising the best I can, practicing avoidance to the best of my ability, avoiding as much stress as possible, etc. I'm doing what I can to heal my chronic illnesses, weak organs, etc. My issues are my own. You need to learn your body and address your body's needs. The stronger our body's health, the better it can tolerate environmental toxins... or at least recover from reactions.

14. I try to spend plenty of time in nature, in the trees or by the sea, away from car exhaust, cigarette smoke, toxic people, city pollution... you get the idea. Nature is the ultimate air purifier. It's the ultimate stress reliever. It also helps me adjust to the changing seasons better. The more time I spend outside, the less traumatic seasonal changes are for me (despite that winter is horrible anyway.)

(Isn't it just calming thinking about being in nature?)

15. Therapies help. I can't say enough about how much chiropractic, acupuncture, and massage helps me. All of these help the body work optimally, all of which will relieve body tension, stress, and toxin build up.

16. I do use a Himalayan Salt Lamp. This is one of my favorite items to sell at the store I work at. It is not enough on its own to help with a reaction, but it does serve an important role for me. The salt releases negative ions into the air to counter the positive ions. Positive ions are harsh on our bodies: electricity/ lightning, environmental toxins, etc. The negative ions clear the air so our bodies don't have to fight the environment as much. They are very calming. My favorite time to use it is right before bed. I read to the light of it. I feel less agitated around it, which is really important in the process of falling asleep.

The ionizer necklace I use works very similarly: it puts out negative ions near my body to help me breathe a little better. It does help some.

(Note: There's a lot of New Age spirituality tied to them, and this has turned some of my customers off from buying one. I've never used it to call spirits, work magic, fortune telling, etc - I don't believe in this stuff, and the lamp has never drawn me in to any type of witch craft. Keep in mind that you can tie spirituality into any object, such as gemstones and minerals. I don't believe in the spiritual properties of gemstones, but they're really pretty and I wear them. Salt is a natural product of the earth, it was around long before humans even existed.)



I encourage you to share with me what helps you! Leave comments on this blog so others can read them too.

No comments:

Post a Comment