Wednesday, October 29, 2014

The Wounded Hawk

Last night I was reading A Bride's Story Vol. 5 by Kaoru Mori, and one of the chapters really inspired me. I think it captured the greatest issue all sick people worry about the most. Before I share the story in the chapter, let me give you a bit of background. A Bride's Story is a Japanese manga (not a childish manga, like you may be used to seeing,) about nomadic (traveling) tribes living on the Silk Road (eastern part of the Middle East) during the turn of the 19th century. It follows a few main characters as they live their day-to-day lives, really immersing the reader in the culture, habits, or lifestyle of these nomadic Muslim people. The two main characters featured in the pages I'm about to show you are an odd couple in an arranged marriage. The woman, Amir, is about 20 years old and is married to Karluk, the 12 year old boy, from a neighboring tribe (they have a very loving and patient relationship, despite the ages.) Amir loves to hunt with a bow and arrow, and then cooks for and feeds Karluk's family with the meat.

(Japanese books are read from right to left, the opposite of English books. Click on the photo to enlarge them to read. I do not have permission to use these images, but I do own the books. The scan quality isn't great because I didn't want to hurt my book by flattening them. I also don't want to give away the whole story/ experience, as I believe in buying the books to support the author. These books are expensive - but so worth reading!)






Amir goes out hunting and spots a wounded hawk, which she can tell is a trained hawk belonging to someone...









She takes the hawk back to her village with the intention of trying to heal it and finding its owner...







Amir hand feeds the hawk meat and tends to its wound. A while goes by, and Amir and Karluk decide it's time to release the bird to the wild since no one has claimed it. The hawk can't fly.







Karluk asks Amir if she wants to keep it as a pet, and she says, "That is completely unthinkable!" She wants the hawk to have a full life of flying and hunting, saying the hawk wouldn't really be living as a pet. She would rather the hawk be eaten in nature.







Karluk offers to "put down" the hawk so Amir, who had grown attached to it, doesn't have to. They bury the bird. The owner of the hawk finally comes to town, just a little too late.







There are many wonderful, strong messages to consider in this short story. What is the value and purpose of life? Is life worth living if you're not in good health, unable to "fully live?" Do other people have the authority to help you end your life if you're not healthy enough to "fully live?" Did Karluk do the right thing by putting down the hawk, or would the right thing have been to let the hawk live until it was eaten by a predator? Was Amir wrong to refuse to keep it as a pet and give it the happiest life it could expect to have with a broken wing?

If you're reading this blog, I'm guessing that you or someone you know is suffering complicated health issues. Those of us who are not healthy can relate to this poor hawk, can we not? The hawk had the will to live, because it gladly accepted food from Amir. The hawk had the will to attempt flight after trying to heal its wing. The hawk clearly desired to live a full, normal life. Don't we also desire a full, normal life? We say things like, "I wish I could taste my neighbor's heavenly pumpkin pie again, but my body would hurt too much if I did." Or, "If only I didn't get sick, I'd be president of my company now and I would be so fulfilled!" Or, "I wish my spouse didn't leave me, because it's not my fault that I got sick and couldn't take care of myself anymore!" Or, "If only I could do that one thing, despite my sickness, I would be happy." I also know that many sick people are too depressed to care about a normal life again, but yet somehow, they hold on to life, knowing there might be something left for them.

What do we do with us sick people who have the will to live, yet can't fully participate in life to the degree that most people do? Would it be more hospitable of us to "put them down," so to speak, than to help them live their life, with their abilities, to their fullest? Is life not longer valuable if the person can't fully participate in life? If a painter loses their hands, they can learn to paint with their mouth or toes. If a pilot loses his vision, he cannot make any adjustments in order to continue flying. There are various degrees of limitations among the sick. Some are able to make do with their limits and still find fulfillment in life. Others will have to learn a whole new way to be fulfilled if they are to continue enjoying life. What constitutes "not being able to fully participate in life?"

This is a very dark subject. I've been there - a year ago I was laying in bed in sheer pain, contemplating my worth. Wondering if recovery was even possible. Wondering if I'd ever feel even an ounce of happiness again. I held on to hope. I chose to believe that my life has value, even if I was useless to others in that state. I chose to believe that I deserved to live, even if my life was miserable and painful every moment of the day. I chose to believe that I could create a purpose for myself, even if I stayed that miserable the rest of my life. I chose to give my life value, and I chose to live. If I were that poor hawk, though, I would have been "put down." I, thankfully, am recovering! I know others, however, who haven't made any improvements in years, yet they still hold on to life, believing that they also deserve their valuable life. Some of these sick people I know are even very joyful, happy people, despite their severe limitations from poor health. They found purpose, and they're living their purpose!

As a Roman Catholic, I have faith-based answers to all these questions. I don't want to disclose them on this blog, as my intention is to help you come to your own conclusions. I'm not here to preach religion. Don't you think, however, that you would prefer to fight for your life than to let someone end it for you? What is your life worth to you? Can you make adjustments in order to find fulfillment? If not, do you still want your life? Why?



Have hope. Have faith.

Give yourself purpose.

Your worth is not determined by your health limitations.



(That said, I would have done the same as Amir and put the hawk down. The hawk grew completely dependent on her, and she couldn't be fully responsible for it as she had too many other responsibilities to her fellow humans. If the hawk were a human, however, the story would have been much different.)

No comments:

Post a Comment