Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Just sitting here feeling weak

It's amazing how much I can roller coaster. For the last month I've been in the very low part of the coaster. I keep thinking I'm at the bottom and I'll start going up again soon, but in the last few days I did get lower. Oi! I'm working on my second cup of black tea this morning. I woke up at 5 am and then again at 9 am with a powerful headache on the top of my neck. It wasn't that I was struggling to keep my eyes open, it was that it was physically painful to be awake. Not grogginess, just very low energy and strain in my head and eyes. There was no going back to sleep though. I have been taking naps in the afternoon the last few days as well, and I normally (95% of the time) cannot nap during the day (or even fall asleep naturally at night). I have just been overcome with heavy weakness, brain thoughts coming to a grinding halt, and an exhaustion that lulls me to sleep. It's actually nice to feel real sleepiness - I forgot what it felt like.

45 minutes ago I wouldn't have had the strength to sit at my computer and type. I'm not feeling good yet, but I'm sitting cross-legged on my chair and reclining, which is just enough to help me manage. But you know what relieved my headache? Not caffeine this time. A shower that was as hot as I could tolerate. I sat down and let the near-scalding water hit my neck. I could feel a rush of blood to my head (but I was too tired to hear Coldplay sing in my head) and the headache lifted. Then I got out of the shower and it started to come back. Then I ate some meat and it started to go away. This feels like a low blood pressure and low blood sugar kind of day, but I've been way too tired to bother to check either. I did see a doctor a few days ago and my blood pressure was something like 90/65 - I had a narrow pulse pressure. And they had my talking a lot as they took the blood pressure, so I'm sure at rest it was lower. I also had to get labs drawn and the first nurse totally gave up on me. She couldn't find a vein, so she put a hot pack on my elbow. It didn't help, and my hands remained purple and ice cold. So she got another nurse to come in. That nurse had the same problem, but she decided to just push the needle in my elbow and move it around until blood came out. Ouch, yes, that hurt. She had to go deep too.

I'm starting to give myself a stomach ache with this tea... and energy is not affected at all. All I know is I have to be ready to go to work in 1 hour and 45 minutes. Not entirely sure if my body will cooperate. I can't stand up long without POTS kicking in and making me collapse to the floor. So here's to hoping compression socks, more salt and licorice herb, more food, more caffeine, and being forced to move a lot help.

No comments:

Post a Comment