Sunday, July 29, 2018

Music for Dark Moods

I want to do another post on the music I've been listening to that has been helping me deal with depression and exhaustion. Since the surgery my mood and depression has been really unstable. I've also had to spend too much energy on projects that have worn me down, making me need to pull away from people and just be inside myself. I often don't want to listen to music when I'm that tired because it's stimulating, but this time, with all my mood swings, music is helping me stay centered even when I don't want the stimulation.


1. Whole Album: Beck "Morning Phase."
Beck is an artist that I enjoy socially and in small doses on my own, but overall doesn't really fit who I am as a person as well as other artists do. This album is so tranquil though. It's so relaxed, so at peace with the world, and such a calm and optimistic way to start my day. It's about the morning - that wonderful feeling of waking up rested before starting the day. I don't experience the waking up rested part often, but this helps me feel like I know what it feels like. :) This album is free to stream on Amazon Prime.




2. Whole Album: Evanescence "Synthesis"
Evanescence is a band with a lot of songs I've always thought I would like if only they didn't have incredibly boring metal guitars in almost every song. Amy Lee writes powerful melodies and sings so beautifully, but the guitars sound the same in every song. Well, she decided to come back with this album. It's mostly rearranged songs from her previous albums, with a couple new songs. This time the songs are full of what I love about their music and none of what I disliked. She hired an orchestra and the band isn't focused on producing the metal sound. It's beautiful - orchestral to create a big full sound that portrays the power in the songs better than the metal guitarists could. It's a mature Evanescence, an evolution of the band I was always hoping for. I absolutely love every second of this album! If you have Amazon Prime the album is streaming for free.


If I can point out one song in particular on this album that I've been so drawn to. This comes from an older album, and the original version is just... blah. This version brings the song to life (pun intended for fans lol.) "End of the Dream"


Why must we fall apart to understand how to fly? I will find a way, even without wings.



"Imaginary"

Don't say I'm out of touch with this rampant chaos your reality. I know well what lies beyond my sleeping refuge. The nightmare I built my own world to escape. 

"Perfect Imperfection"

I want to lift you up into the light that you deserve. I want to take your pain into myself so that you won't hurt. Don't you dare surrender! Don't leave me here without you, because I could never replace your perfect imperfection.

"Lithium"


Lithium, don't want to lock me up inside. Lithium, don't want to forget how it feels without. Lithium, I want to stay in love with my sorrow.

"Hi-Lo"

(Can't link to music video...)

Don't you know we could be high or low, you'll never fall beneath me. And I gave up on you, but I never forgot you.



3. Darren Hayes, but not a particular album. You probably know him as the lead singer of Savage Garden. He has an extensive solo career, but it never exactly came to America because the record producers wanted nothing to do with him after he came out as gay. He has some bad music out there, such as the song "Creeping Up On You." Who writes a song about stalking someone? But the rest? Very heartfelt. He sings full of emotion and passion without compromising good pop vocal technique. Lyrically he gets into the heart of any matter with masterful writing. I don't normally listen to this type of pop music because it's usually far too simple and meaningless for my tastes, but he's special. What I like most about him is that he tackles depression head on. He doesn't sing about it for sympathy, to explain himself, or to give the world an excuse for being depressed. He sings about the reality of depression, exposing it for what it is, and learning to live positively with it. Most of his music is about relationship struggles, which I don't have in my life, but I can still relate to the rest.

"Darkness" (Honestly probably my favorite song at the moment. Can't stop listening.)

I am famous for my generosity, they say I am the kindest. It is easier to give than receive love, give than receive love.

"Taken by the Sea"

Fall, I took a fall, I took it easy. On the surface I was perfect, but down, way down below, I started believing I deserved it. Was I worthless? Sinking like a rescue boat washing right over me, vessel is struggling, waving both my hands in the air. Then the blindness of love, then your arms all around me...

"So Beautiful"

And if all the world was perfect I would only ever want to see your scars

"Stupid Mistake"

I made a stupid mistake and my world crashed down all around me. I made a stupid mistake and I threw it all away, threw it all away...




4. Florence and the Machine, whole album "How Big How Blue How Beautiful" and several songs off other albums. Florence Welch is a mixed bag full of wonderful song writing with a band that isn't always tight or perfect, and with a beautiful heavenly voice that isn't trained well enough to always sound its best. Somehow, even though my standards are high for quality pop and rock music, this doesn't bother me, because her songs aren't simple. Well, some of them are, but she makes them good in other ways. She is a woman who has dealt with addictions (including sex addiction that's prevalent in her lyrics, not something I relate to), and she knows how to tackle her mental health through song writing. I'm not like her in many ways, but she knows how to speak to my soul. She has music for when I'm stressed out, angry, burned out... and most importantly, when I'm trying to tackle my own issues. Here's a sampling of her songs that have helped me:

"Sky Full of Song"


Hold me down I'm so tired now, aim your arrow at the sky. Take me down, I'm too tired now. Leave me where I lie... 

"Shake It Out"


And it's hard to dance with a devil on your back, so shake him off!

"Falling"


Sometimes I wish for falling, wish for the release. Wish for falling through the air to give me some relief. Because falling's not the problem, when I'm falling I'm at peace. It's only when I hit the ground it causes all the grief.



"Blinding"

No more dreaming of the dead as if death itself has been undone... 

"Various Storms and Saints"




You'll find a rooftop to sing from, or find a hallway to dance. You don't need no edge to cling from. Your heart is there, it's in your hands. I know it seems like forever. I know it seems like an age. But one day this will be over. I swear it's not so far away. 


5. Emiliana Torrini. She's an Icelandic singer with a beautiful soft voice, and she knows how to write musical poetry. She can describe a scene like no one else. There is a different mood on each of her albums. Some of her songs get incredibly dark in subject matter (singing about a homicide, for instance), but some expose the simply beauty of the world and make it grand. I don't always connect with her when I'm in depressed dark place, but I like pretty much every song she's ever written.

"Blood Red"

I want a car in red, without a roof, blood red. Goes so fast my lipstick runs downriver. Instead I stay a while longer. So restricted. I know too much, I'm so affected, the winding hours belong to strangers. 

"Birds"


Lend me your wings and teach me how to fly. Show me when it rains, the place you go to hide.



6. Muse. I've talked about them before, don't need to repeat. But they have a brand new song out that is perfect for my mood. I love it so much.

"Something Human"
https://youtu.be/azAEHCQgcUI

Blogger won't let me embed the link to it, sadly and very annoyingly. But if you're into 80's stuff and fast cars and werewolves then you'll love the video. It's epic! And the song is so spot on about my need for escape.




There are other artists that I can connect with too, but I've talked about them before. U2, Muse, Jack White... I wanted to highlight that I've been listening to these artists a lot this summer. As if it's been winter.

Do you have suggestions for me? Let me know who helps you through dark times please. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment