Sunday, December 24, 2017

U2


On chronic illness support groups a common topic is music that helps people get through the difficulty with the illness. One of the most frequently mentioned artists for this is Lady Gaga. For me? I think it's obvious to anyone who knows me: U2.

It's Christmas Eve. I'm exhausted, just relaxing while the roast is baking. I'm listening to U2's new album, "Songs of Experience." As the song "Landlady" came on I had an epiphany. I was thinking through how many years U2's music has helped me stay strong, find reasons to be happy, learn to love myself better, and appreciate the people in my life. I started to wonder what it specifically that has touched me the most about their music. As Bono sang in "Landlady" about how much he truly respects and appreciates all his wife has done for him, it struck me. I love U2 so much because I'm very attracted to people who deeply love. Thinking through all my favorite people in my life, they've all been people who have a deep passion for something that makes people better. They have a true love and respect for humanity, and while they recognize and admit to the darkness and cruelty in people and this world, they still have this rich passion of loving people. I can't connect with people who don't recognize the darkness and despair in life and push it away. I connect with people who know the darkness like a close sibling, but always point to the light. That's my husband. That's my best friends. That's my parents. That's my heroes, some of whom I have met and some of whom I have not. That's U2, not just specifically Bono. But Bono is my greatest hero in the world today. U2's music is full of passion and love - they want nothing more than to make the world a better place. And they do. They make my world a better place so that I can make other's worlds better places.

What U2's music does for me is helps me not focus on my problems as a negative working against me, but instead their music helps me find my place in the world despite my problems and the world's problems. Yes, their music is very political. It's very personal. They very rarely write songs about romantic love. They can't write a simple fun tune, all their songs are heavy ("Lemon" might be the ONE song that isn't heavy, ha!) That's a turn off to many people, and I understand that. Many people think Bono's incredibly arrogant and claim to hate him because of it, but I don't think they're actually listening to him. But to me, music that doesn't have anything to say is boring. I'd rather have an arrogant insecure Irish man tell me how beautiful American's political system is than  have most Americans telling me how it's ruining our freedoms and liberties. I'm sick of American's views on America. Most pop music bores me to tears. U2's songs have so much to say that they always keep me pondering the meaning of my life in this world, and I thank them for keeping me focused on my purpose in this crazy world. Political or not, they keep me focused on love through this crazy mess of a world.

As "Landlady" came on, I was brought to tears by listening to how much Bono loves his wife. I have so much respect for Bono and Ali. They've only ever been married to each other, never any divorce. They show the world what marriage is all about. "I would win and call it losing if the prize is not for you."



My chronic illnesses can't take over my life and get me down when I have U2 singing about love and passion for all that is right and just in this world. My life isn't about me. I have value, no matter how much I'm hurting and held back. I have a place, no matter how broken and distant I'm feeling. I have a purpose, no matter how empty and drained I am. Their messages cut through my depression and anger and remind me who I am, who I was made to be, and how I can always keep growing despite my situation. I'm not defined by what I can't do, but by what I can. My health isn't my enemy. It isn't what's to blame for me not being the best version of myself.

So to Bono, Edge, Larry, and Adam: Thank you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment