Sunday, November 6, 2016

Tea Gelatin Recipe

Some of you who know me in person have been asking me to share this recipe for a while, so I apologize that it's taken me so long! Fighting fatigue makes it hard to keep up with the world, sadly!

This one is super simple, hard to get it wrong. I decided to try making my own gelatin because I remembered how nice it was to eat Jello when my digestive system wasn't feeling well. I figured that it shouldn't be hard to make an organic version without all the food coloring, fillers, and sugar. My experiment worked!

Tea Gelatin




What you need:

-Two 12 oz mugs

-1 glass container that can fit 24 oz of liquid

-2 tablespoons of grass-fed gelatin (I use Vital Proteins.)

-3-6 tea bags or equivalent of loose tea (My favorites have been Choice's Lemon Lavender Mint, Frontier's bulk Rooibos tea, Tuli's Cinnamon Rose tea, and Numi's Gunpowerder Green Tea. The Rooibos mixes well most of these other flavors.)

Optionally, you may also use:

-Lemon juice (for sweetness and flavor, but don't pair it with green tea because it can draw the aluminum out of the green tea leaves, according to both my chiropractor and this article.)

-Nut milk (I used coconut milk, but only a light amount or the fat films on top of the gelatin.)

-Organic vegetable-based food coloring (I haven't done this)

-Organic non-sugar sweetener such as stevia or xylotol. (I have not used sweeteners in this recipe, so I cannot testify as to how well they work.)

-Possibly extracts for flavor, but I have not tried this yet.



Recipe:
1. Put 2-3 bags of your choice of tea in one of the mugs and fill it with filtered water. Let it sit, covered, in the fridge for 24 hours. Alternatively, you can use hot water to brew the tea and then place it in the fridge to cool. The goal is to make a strong cold tea. If you want to add lemon juice or nut milk for flavor, add it to this cold tea.

2. Once the cold tea is ready, make hot tea in the other mug. I use 2-3 bags in this mug too, as the flavor needs to be strong. Let it brew for about 6-7 minutes, long enough to steep, but not long enough to cool down.

3. Remove the tea bags from both mugs.

4. Stir in 2 table spoons of gelatin to the hot tea. Keep stirring, try to avoid letting it gel onto the spoon. If you want to add a sweetener, add it to the hot tea while you're stirring in the gelatin. I have never used sweeteners in this, so let me know how it works if you try it.

5. Once dissolved, pour the hot tea into the glass bowl. Then pour the cold tea into the bowl. If you wish to use safe organic food coloring (I will NEVER advocate using synthetic food dyes since they are extremely dangerous to your health), add it in now. Stir gently, just enough to distribute the coloring.

6. Cover the bowl and put it in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours. The reason I suggest a glass bowl is so that you can see when the gelatin has set. It should be solid.

7. Enjoy!





Note:
Keep in mind that tea has medicinal properties. You're also making a few servings of gelatin. Even though it might be tempting, you should be careful eating the whole batch in one sitting, especially if you're using tea with caffeine!

Also keep in mind that this is not a meal replacement. It is high in protein, but it's not very filling. Treat it like a snack or something you can get down when you're feeling sick.


No comments:

Post a Comment