Monday, August 31, 2015

Adrenal Fatigue

I'm very surprised to find out that I haven't actually blogged about adrenal fatigue yet, as it's something I'm constantly contending with. This time, however, I won't write much. I came across this article that describes me perfectly, especially the part that describes the symptoms:

Symptoms of adrenal fatigue:
  • Morning fatigue -- You don't really seem to "wake up" until 10 a.m., even if you've been awake since 7 a.m.
  • Afternoon "low" (feelings of sleepiness or clouded thinking) from 2 to 4 p.m.
  • Burst of energy at 6 p.m. -- You finally feel better from your afternoon lull.
  • Sleepiness at 9 to 10 p.m. -- However, you resist going to sleep.
  • "Second wind" at 11 p.m. that lasts until about 1 a.m., when you finally go to sleep.
  • Cravings for foods high in salt and fat
  • Increased PMS or menopausal symptoms
  • Mild depression
  • Lack of energy
  • Decreased ability to handle stress
  • Muscular weakness
  • Increased allergies
  • Lightheadedness when getting up from a sitting or laying down position
  • Decreased sex drive
  • Frequent sighing
  • Inability to handle foods high in potassium or carbohydrates unless they're combined with fats and protein


Yes, this is me - especially the frequent sighing part. :) It also explains my low blood pressure and low blood sugar, digestive issues, and menstrual issues. The adrenal glands produce and regulate hormones, and when the adrenals can't properly work with hormones, naturally our hormones will act up.

Adrenal fatigue and chronic fatigue syndrome tend to go hand-in-hand in my experience, and yet they are not the same thing. While I believe that adrenal fatigue does feed my chronic fatigue, do I believe that there are other causes to my chronic fatigue for reasons I've stated throughout this blog.

This article explains that "nervous breakdowns" are symptomatic of or cause adrenal fatigue. Yes, I did have a "nervous breakdown" that occurred right before I became chronically ill. It was actually on the incredibly overwhelmingly stressful move from Idaho to North Dakota, when my truck was breaking down from carrying too much weight. I was stuck, all alone, in the middle of western Montana, scared to death, not wanting to even do the move. I completely broke down. Ever since then I've been unable to recover my energy.

What do I do for my adrenal fatigue? I have a great naturopathic doctor. Sure, you can buy all sorts of herbal adrenal supplements at your local health food store, many of them even contain the same herbs that I take, but I'm not a doctor or a physician. I'm not going to give advice on what herbs or remedies to take. Now that said, 2 years of healing with my doctor and I still have a lot of these symptoms. Do not expect to heal quickly. This article says that for severe cases it can take up to 2 years to heal from adrenal fatigue. I definitely need more time, but I've made a lot of progress.

http://foodmatters.tv/articles-1/treating-chronic-fatigue-and-adrenal-fatigue-naturally




I can suggest lifestyle changes that have helped me a ton:

- Avoid caffeine!
- Avoid sugar!
- Avoid all stress, even if that means quitting your job. Stress will keep attacking your adrenal glands, preventing them from healing and possibly making them even worse. I couldn't work for almost 2 years. If I would have kept working, I couldn't heave healed. Getting away from all stress is an investment in your ability to work in the future.
- Get as much rest as possible. I have no shame in the fact that I've laid in bed for hours watching Hulu, playing my Nintendo DS, or reading. It makes me feel a lot better.
- Exercise enough to keep your circulation strong and to feel good, not enough to wear you out. I like to go for a 2.5 mile walk most days.
- Get acupuncture, chiropractic adjustments, and massages. These are very healing therapies, but they also are very relaxing. They will help eliminate stress.
- Spend time in the sun, which is very relaxing and invigorating.
- Do not ever "beat yourself up." It isn't your fault that you're sick.
- Pray. Let God heal you. Let him take your stress from you. Let him relax you and comfort you. Do not push him away. Do not get angry at him. If you resist him, you're holding onto stress unnecessarily. Even if you don't believe in God, try giving up your stress to him anyway - just the "letting go" will help.

No comments:

Post a Comment